Is anxiety holding you hostage?
You’ve probably had one of two experiences with anxiety: it’s been a part of your life for so long you’ve come to accept it as “the way it is” but it’s making you miserable. Or you know it’s anxiety but the ways you’ve learned to cope aren’t working anymore, treatments you’ve tried didn’t work or other counselors didn’t really help.
What does Anxiety look like?
Anxiety can run the gamut from stress to panic. I’ve been successful in helping those with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Panic Attacks, Social Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
How clients describe anxiety—does this describe you?
- Can’t stop worrying even when you know it isn’t doing any good
- Wake up at night worrying, with your mind jumping from one thing to another and you can’t turn it off
- Have difficulty falling asleep because your mind is racing
- Constant tension in your neck and shoulders or tightness in your jaw
- Feel compelled to do things in a specific way or repeatedly
- Keep obsessing about what ifs
- Unable to make a decision or if you make a decision you keep rethinking it or worrying about it
- Avoiding social situations or use drugs or alcohol to make socializing easier
- Have times where you are unable to breath, feel like you’re choking or things are too tight around your neck, your heart is beating so rapidly you worry you’re having a heart attack, break out in a sweat
- Having random thoughts that are disturbing and upsetting but you can’t stop thinking about them
If you’re struggling with anxiety contact me to learn how I can help or make an appointment and let’s get started!
I’ve helped clients learn to stop ruminating so they don’t fall into that old familiar pattern of worry. I’ve taught clients how to relax their bodies so they don’t struggle with tension or panic. I’ve provided clients with tools to challenge their thinking so they don’t get trapped in rituals or stuck in obsessive thinking. I’ve helped clients to feel comfortable in social situations without having to self medicate.
If you’re ready to take back your life, I’m here to help! Let’s get to work.
Lynne Coon, LPC — counselor serving communities in the greater Portland metropolitan area including: Portland, Vancouver, Lake Oswego, Tigard, Tualatin, Beaverton, Milwaukie, Oregon City, Hillsboro, Forest Grove, King City, West Linn, Wilsonville, Gresham, Troutdale, Scappoose, St Helens, Camas, Brush Prairie, Battle Ground, and Multnomah County, Clackamas County, Washington County and Clark County.